Monday, November 22, 2010

pumpkin cake.

While I know very (ahem, v.e.r.y.) little about cooking, I HAVE managed to collect a very few, very select, but v.e.r.y. good (okay, they're actually more along the lines of amazing, you know, if I'm being honest) recipes. Here is one that people flip over. Every time. It's cakey on bottom, gooey in the middle, crispy on the top, and most importantly... it's pumpkin-y! (I have a love affair with pumpkin that is nowhere within or even near the parameters of "normal" and/or "healthy.") And even better still, it's foolproof. I mean, EVEN I CAN MAKE IT!  So here it is.

 

Pumpkin Cake
{Assemble each set separately then put together according to directions.}

Crust:
1 box yellow cake (set aside one cup for topping)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg

Filling:
3 cups pumpkin
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
12 oz. can evaporated milk

Topping:
1 cup cake mix (reserved)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter 
3 tbsp. flour

Crust: Mix cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg well. Pour and press into lightly greased cake pan. Filling: Mix pumpkin, 2 eggs, sugar, salt, spices, and evaporated milk. Pour over crust mix. Topping: Mix remaining ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle over pumpkin mixture. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool and serve with whipped topping.

Your friends and family will love it. Trust me. 
{and let me know how you like it!}

2 comments:

Jeff and Jessie said...

We mix 1 small vanilla pudding with 1 c. milk then add the cool whip for the topping. And yes, we LOVE this recipe!

Unknown said...

I wish I would have seen this before Thanksgiving. It sounds divine!