Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Go shine your sink!

 

Some of you have written emails mentioning the  Fly Lady, so I had to go check her out. And I have to say, I really LOVED the first "baby step" she suggests for turning over a new leaf with homemaking. She says to:

GO SHINE YOUR SINK!
"After you do this; you will keep it shiny by drying it out after each time you use it and making sure when you go to bed that it is shining so it will make you smile in the morning. This is how I get to hug you each day! That shiny sink is a reflection of the love that you have for yourself."

I loved this baby step because it tapped into one of the hugest problems I have when it comes to maintaining a clean home. When my kitchen sink is shiny and clean, (which, ahem, it almost NEVER is) everything else feels under control. When I let the sink get backed up, and both sides are full of dirty dishes, then we put stuff on the counter, then we leave it on the table, then, when I look at the mountain of mess, I feel completely overwhelmed...so I just walk away and leave it for another day. (Yes, I know how gross that must sound to expert homemakers.) Then, when I FINALLY bite the bullet. It takes a solid hour (and TWO loads in the dishwasher) to get it cleared away... and it makes me really sad and such.
I love this new suggestion so much, that I've decided to implement it immediately. Starting now. So, three goals: up and dressed, clean for a total of sixty minutes (maybe using the power of ten even?), and shine my sink (and keep it shiny!).