Monday, November 8, 2010

Clarifications.

Photobucket

Clarifications:
*Wow, I seem to have struck a liiiitle bit of a nerve right out the gate with this one! ha ha! So let me clarify.

1. When I say "dressed to the nines" I am talking about the kind of dressed to the nines that takes 20 minutes total. Here is my philosophy: It is just as easy to pull on cute jeans or a skirt as it is to pull on sweatpants. It takes the same amount of time and effort, but the "end results" are vastly different. I'm certainly not suggesting that I (or anyone else) should spend an hour each morning getting insanely gussied up - that would sort of defeat the purpose since my ULTIMATE goal is to be a more effective homemaker and time manager.


2. Jewelry is the BEST cheat on the planet! It takes like, two whole seconds to put on, and it makes you look totally put together. Like many moms with small children, I am going to have to fore go the earrings once Tennyson starts getting grabby, but a great necklace can go a long way and (as long as it's sturdy) can even be a great toy/distraction for the baybuh. Its cheap, easy to do, and really fun.

3. I don't base my self worth on my appearance, and I don't want anyone else to base their self worth on appearance, and the purpose of this blog is not to get anyone else to do so. That being said, on this journey to better, more organized living, I have found a very effective trigger point for myself. That trigger point is getting dressed everyday.  The days I get up and get dressed, I take the world by storm. The days that I stay in my bathrobe, I find, at the end of said day, that the laundry is still piled high, the sink is full of dishes, and my son's homework didn't get completed (and he's already in bed for the night). It seems that a (comfy, luscious) bathrobe may very well be the ONLY thing standing between me and domestic bliss okay!? 

4. I've decided to treat motherhood like the job that it is. This means treating it with respect, showing up on time, and coming ready to do the work. Am I going to have days where I stay in pajamas and do pretty much nothing? Probably. But those days should be the exception, not the rule. As one 1960s homemaking maven once said "If you LOOK THE PART, you'll feel like DOING THE PART." This just makes sense to me. It may not be for everyone, but for me, this part is necessary.

5. Sweatpants are so much better than a bathrobe. You can go out and get your mail in sweatpants. You can answer the door (without making anyone uncomfortable) in sweatpants. On days when I know I want to clean my house's guts out, sweatpants will be the clothing of choice.  So don't get defensive just yet. I'm not waging war on our beloved sweat pants... (promise) I'm just trying to root out the biggest contributors to my slovenly lifestyle and turn them around! Dressing nicely each day is a great way to start.

6. I don't beat myself up about not being "that" girl. I'm sure she has her own issues to deal with, and Celeste and Jessie - you said it perfectly - to compare ourselves to others is just demoralizing and utterly counter-productive. What I intended to express with that example, is this: She is proof positive that it can be done. If a mom of 4 kids under five can do it - so can I! That's really inspiring for me. And on days when I don't, that's okay too. Thanks for the feedback so I could hear how that post was coming off. We all have to be the best "US" and not the best replication of what we think someone else is.   

7. I never want this blog to make someone feel like their efforts as a mom and wife aren't good enough. I am so excited that so many of you are EXCITED about improving and making better lives for yourselves. At the same time, it's important that we are always supportive of one another as women and mothers. I will definitely be keeping it real and sharing the BAD with the good as I go along - I'd encourage all of you to do the same.  We're not doing anyone any favors by acting like we're perfect and hiding the things we struggle with. It just makes women with problems (a.k.a EVERYONE) feel isolated. That's never going to be the goal or intention of this project. Thanks you to all of you who made comments that keep it real too! I think there should be a whole post called "Sweatpants confessions." Ha ha! 

And finally...


THANK YOU - to everyone who is participating! It's really great to get feedback about how different women feel about different areas of homemaking. Most of all, it's just good to know that I'm not the only one who wants to do better and be better everyday!